2023 Dodge Hornet
THE HIVE HAS ARRIVED: ALL-NEW 2023 DODGE HORNET UNLOCKS GATEWAY TO DODGE MUSCLE, OFFERS QUICKEST, FASTEST, MOST POWERFUL COMPACT UTILITY VEHICLE UNDER $30,000
POWERTRAIN: MULTI-ENERGY LINEUP OFFERS MOST POWER IN THE SEGMENT
The Dodge brand is holding nothing back as it enters the CUV segment: the all-new 2023 Dodge Hornet delivers best-in-class standard performance in both of its powertrain options, as well as a unique new PowerShot horsepower boost feature on the Dodge Hornet R/T, the brand’s first electrified performance vehicle.
The Dodge Hornet R/T PHEV achieves a segment-leading 285-plus horsepower and 383 lb.-ft. of torque. The R/T features a 1.3-liter turbocharged all-aluminum engine, part of the Stellantis Global Small Engine (GSE) family, which includes exclusive third-generation MultiAir technology that improves combustion efficiency by adjusting valve lift and timing.
The Hornet R/T offers more than 30 miles of all-electric range. An electric induction motor powers the rear axle; the 90-kW electric motor can deliver 184 lb.-ft. (250 Nm) of torque from 0 rpm. Power is further optimized by a 15.5-kWh lithium-ion battery pack, fitted with a refrigerant gas cooling circuit to keep the battery at its optimum temperature. A starter generator delivers torque to the engine belt, aiding in dynamic response and recharging of the battery. A high-power inverter and 7.4-kW charging module allow for a full battery charge to be reached in approximately 2.5 hours using a Level 2 charger. The R/T PHEV system is paired with a six-speed automatic transmission.
A Sport Mode for the Hornet R/T PHEV is performance focused and accessible by a dedicated button on the center console, unlocking a sharper throttle, optimized shift schedule, access to the hybrid system’s optimized power and torque, and a tighter steering wheel feel.
The Hornet R/T PHEV holds extra “sting” in reserve, ready to be unleashed through a class-exclusive PowerShot feature that provides a boost of 25 horsepower and delivers instant torque. Available only for the R/T, the PowerShot feature:
- Shaves one second off normal 0 to 60 mph times by boosting horsepower and acceleration using bursts of extra power deployed by the battery and electric motor
- Provides 15 seconds of extra horsepower, and can be repeated after a 15-second cool down period
- Activates by pulling both steering-wheel mounted paddle shifters and performing a pedal kickdown
- System checks battery charge and temperature levels before performing PowerShot function
- When activated, a PowerShot symbol in the instrument cluster provides real-time feedback to the driver
Drivers also have the ability to select from among three hybrid driving modes to customize the Hornet R/T PHEV to best fit their driving needs. Operated by a dedicated button conveniently located on the steering wheel, available driving modes include:
- Hybrid Mode: Provides maximum combined efficiency of the conventional engine and e-Motor, minimizing fuel consumption by setting electric priority until a minimum battery level is met
- Electric Mode: Offers an all-electric, zero emission mode, and automatically switches to hybrid when the battery is depleted or when extra power is requested by driver pedal kickdown
- E-Save Mode: Gives priority to the conventional engine to preserve battery charge, with a Passive option to maintain the charge and an Active option to help recharge the battery
The Hornet R/T PHEV also works to replenish battery power with a regenerative braking feature that recovers kinetic energy and stores it in the battery for future deployment, as well as an e-Coasting function, activated during throttle release, that allows for shorter stopping distances and additional energy recovery.
DRIVING DYNAMICS: DODGE PERFORMANCE DISRUPTS THE SEGMENT
The all-new 2023 Dodge Hornet arrives ready to disrupt the status quo of the mainstream CUV segment with a swarm of class-exclusive and best-in-class performance features that optimize driving dynamics such as suspension, braking, steering and handling performance.
Dodge Hornet class-exclusive or best-in-class performance features include:
- Class-exclusive Koni® frequency selective damping shocks improve handling and ride comfort — standard on the R/T and GT models
- Class-exclusive Brembo four-piston front fixed calipers — the only front fixed calipers in the segment — offer ultimate braking power and are standard on the R/T and available on GT
- Class-exclusive brake-by-wire Intelligent Braking System technology offers consistent performance and pedal feel under multiple driving conditions and is standard on R/T
- Class-exclusive available dual-stage-valve suspension provides for driver-selectable suspension damping and can be customized while behind the wheel, available with the Track Pack option for R/T and GT
- Best-in-class front and rear fully independent suspension, standard on the Hornet R/T and Hornet GT, features an optimized front MacPherson geometry and unique rear 3-link Chapman suspension
- Best-in-class dynamic torque vectoring delivers torque with electronic precision, and when used with Sport Mode the system acts as an electronic limited slip differential — standard on R/T and GT
- Enhanced body stiffness offers greater rigidity and gives the driver confidence and control under cornering, and best-in-class weight distribution on the Hornet R/T PHEV provides optimal balance of masses on the AWD base to optimize torque delivery and handling — standard on R/T and GT
The extensive menu of performance features isn’t simply a list of claims. Dodge Hornet performance features brought to the mainstream pay real-world dividends: the Hornet delivers best-in-class maximum lateral g-force numbers of 0.90 for the R/T model and 0.87 for the GT.
DIRECT CONNECTION: THE ONLY FACTORY-BACKED PERFORMANCE UPGRADES IN THE SEGMENT
The 2023 Dodge Hornet boasts the best-in-class standard performance in both of its powertrain options, but for many in the Dodge Brotherhood of Muscle, standard is just the starting point. The Dodge brand’s Direct Connection parts portfolio will expand with performance products developed exclusively for the Dodge Hornet to give those power-hungry enthusiasts the keys to the only factory-backed performance upgrades in the segment.
The Dodge Hornet GT GLH Concept, displayed during the Hornet global reveal at the M1 Concourse, pays homage to the high-performance Dodge Omni GLH (Goes Like Hell) produced in the mid-1980s. The Hornet GT GLH boasts a better power-to-weight ratio than the original and provides a look at one potential performance path created with Direct Connection parts.
Direct Connection content featured on the Hornet GT GLH includes:
- Stage kit that offers stackable performance upgrades for the GT model
- Suspension lowering kit drops the Hornet more than an inch, creating a lower center of gravity and enhanced cornering dynamics
- Unrestricted dual exhaust with black chrome tips provide a throaty performance note
- Exclusive Direction Connection GLH 20-inch painted and machine-faced wheels
- Exclusive Direct Connection GLH graphics, including stripes and logos
- Black-painted lower trim with exhaust cutout rear fascia
Direct Connection parts are exclusively available through Dodge Power Brokers dealers, with the vehicle warranty maintained when covered parts are installed by a Power Brokers dealer. Dodge Power Brokers dealers are equipped with staff trained to deliver a performance-focused customer experience.
Direct Connection parts will also be available to upgrade the Dodge Hornet R/T PHEV. Additional details, including horsepower numbers, pricing and availability of Direct Connection parts for the Hornet, will be announced at a later date. More information on Direct Connection is available at DCPerformance.com.
USER EXPERIENCE/TECHNOLOGY: DISTINCTLY DODGE
The Dodge Hornet delivers a technologically advanced user experience, maintaining the Dodge driver-centric user feel through a best-in-class standard 12.3-inch digital cockpit cluster screen and standard 10.25-inch Uconnect 5 infotainment system central display. Combined, the Hornet offers 22.5 inches of in-vehicle display screen space.
The Uconnect 5 infotainment system, standard on Hornet, is Android-based, easy to use and intuitive. Favorite home screen layouts, music preferences, HVAC controls, seat positions and more can be customized and linked to individual profiles. The system can be connected to two phones simultaneously, and Wireless Android and Apple CarPlay allow easy, cord-free connectivity.
The Uconnect 5 system features content-rich features to keep occupants connected to their digital lifestyles, including Amazon Alexa in-vehicle interaction. Users can ask Alexa to perform functions such as close a garage door at home while inside the vehicle or use Alexa-enabled devices at home to start the car, lock/unlock doors and more.
Additional comfort, safety and technology features include a best-in-class Harman-Kardon® premium sound system, standard on the GT Plus and R/T Plus, equipped with 14 speakers powered by 465 watts of total system output. Wireless charging is also standard on the GT and R/T plus. A few of the many standard comfort and convenience features across all Hornet models include passive entry via the vehicle key fob, rain-sensing wipers, and a rear seat reminder system that registers rear entry/exit with each key cycle and uses a chime and message display to remind the driver to check rear seat. Optional comfort features for Hornet include a heated steering wheel, heated seats, handsfree power liftgate and many more.
The Hornet takes advantage of advanced technology to offer a slate of innovative safety features that are new for the Dodge brand. Standard Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems (ADAS) and safety features for the Hornet include:
- Automatic Emergency Braking, which detects pedestrians or cyclists on the road and delivers a visual and acoustic warning, and can bring the vehicle to a full stop to mitigate collision
- Lane Support System gives a visual and haptic warning when straying from a vehicle lane while driving and performs automatic counter steering
- Blind Spot Detection with Rear Cross Path alerts drivers via a visual warning through a triangular icon on the side mirrors, chimes with a warning when the turn signal is active, and the system also detects approaching vehicles or objects when backing up
Hornet also offers three levels of parking assistance with acoustic and visual warnings displayed on the 10.25-inch main screen. Standard features include four rear parking sensors along with a high-definition back-up camera with guidelines, with additional available parking assistance on the Tech Pack.
Level 2 autonomous driving, with new ADAS features that take safety and comfort to the next level, are optional with the Tech Pack, and include:
- Intelligent Speed Assist w/Traffic Sign Recognition detects the speed limit and provides the driver a one-click option to adjust speeds
- Driver Attention Assist detects signs of fatigue and alerts weary drivers with a visual and acoustic warning on the cluster
- Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control (IACC) maintains an appropriate speed and distance with functionality that supports stop and go traffic
- Lateral Control/Lane Support system combines Lane Control and Traffic Jam Assist to keep the vehicle centered on the lane